Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Pallet Shelves


Wood pallet home decor is super trendy with the do-it-yourself crowd these days. I'm completely guilty of contributing to this fad with my Wood Pallet Planters. However, I just have to keep contributing by sharing these awesome pallet shelves (source unknown). They are super simple and super cool.

UPDATE NOVEMBER 27, 2011: I just finished reading a post at Grist which answered a question about using wood pallets for tent platforms. The answer to the question was more or less, beware! Wood pallets are treated with chemicals that can be harmful and there have been incidents of e-coil being spred from wood pallets. It is advised to not use wood pallets indoors especial around children.  I hate to be the barer of bad news but these awesome wood pallet shelve may be killers! Read the post for yourself. Will you still take the risk? 

6 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. I would love to be able to visualize this for a jewelry display. I am thinking real hard, I just love it and sell jewelry wholesale at the gift show in NY. This is just so nice and our crates are stored on pallets as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some pallets are treated with chemicals but others are heat treated. 'HT' will be labeled on the pallet somewhere. I am in the midst of building shelves, end tables, coffee table, and 'filing cabinets' out of pallets. Too much fun. And such a great price...free...well a little sweat and time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. James Fallows' excellent collection of essays about China, Postcards from Tomorrow Square, talks about how much use is made by the Chinese of discarded American pallets, including use for flooring. Think I'm going to go nab a stack from the discard dock of the school across the street.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...